[Question] What to expect from my Gale Banks Twin Turbo BBC 502 and any build tips/advice?

samedi 1 novembre 2014

Hi Guys,



I've been a member of this forum for a few years now but more a reader than contributor and I think the time has finally come to reach out :)

I currently have a 2000 29 Scarab which I love but its time to upgrade things a bit and rather than learn from my own money eating mistakes I thought

It best to seek some advice from the knowledge full.



I am based in Ireland and familiar with european cars but American Marine stuff is completely forgien to me.



My Scarab was running a single 7.4 MPI 310hp which pained me as my previous boat had two 5.7 twin turbo motors and wanted to go down a similar

route so when I saw some value in the form of a low hour Mercruiser (Forged pistons, steel crank and low compression)502 Carb engine 415hp

which had been fitted with a Cutler EFI system 1000CFM (similar to Holley), MSD 6M-2, Mercruiser Thunderbolt IV Distributor and a set of exhaust headers I took a punt.



I then acquired an old school Gale Banks Stage Three Twin Turbo Setup. which consisted of 2 Gale Banks Exhaust Manifolds,2 Water Cooled Turbos and 2 Intercoolers.

There currently isn't the ability to control boost as it simply is preset via a hole in the exhaust side that allows gasses to bypass the turbo. From what I can find

out the system runs about 8psi stock and some people have restricted the bypass to increase up to 12psi. I can block these off and weld in some external wastegates if need be.



Here are two links to similar set ups:

http://ift.tt/1vtTjCP

http://ift.tt/1vtTjCR

http://ift.tt/1vtTlL6



My current thoughts are to ditch the outdated Cutler EFI ECU and replace it with Holleys HP EFI (550-604) and run some bigger injectors and to remove the throttle

body and mount the intercooler on top of the inlet manifold and fit the throttle body where the carb would sit?



Is this a set up that would work anyway well? I really need to know what approximate power level these engines can run safely in stock form so that I can match the correct

injectors and to get the correct GPH fuel pump etc. I estimate a figure of about 700hp would that be a fair assumption?

Again I have no idea about American products and don't know if my existing Distributor and MSD ignition box me up to the job? are they standard

block connections that are plug and play with the Holley 550-604 kit?

Would I have a worthwhile benefit from sticking in a set of cams and rockers while the engine is out of the boat?

I know I'm probably going to be told to ditch the old kit and get a procharger but I just like the turbo idea.



Any advice or guidance as to how I would best set this up to maximize its potential on a reasonable budget would be greatly appreciated.



Many thanks from the Land of Eire!



Jay





[Question] What to expect from my Gale Banks Twin Turbo BBC 502 and any build tips/advice?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire