[Question] Valve springs too much pressure

lundi 16 mars 2015

I removed a Comp 11-000-9 Billet solid roller cam with .772" lift from my BBC blown gas 522 CID engine, then installed a Comp 11-694-8 Non-billet cam with less lift (.652"). Brodix heads have Manley Nextek double springs #221424 with 1.64" OD & nice titanium retainers. They have 250# closed seat pressure and 670# at full lift of my new .652" lift cam. Thus, too much spring pressure for the cam. Comp Cams tech rep said don't go over 500# pressure at full lift (said around 470# is good) with this non-billet cam and should have closed seat pressure around 170#. Problem is; nobody makes a 1.64" OD spring that has the less pressure that I need that I can use these same titanium retainers. (There are actually some poorer quality "No name" 1.64 springs available, but my titaniun retainers won't fit them) The better spring companies all want to sell me new 1.55" OD springs, retainers and locators to fix problem for $600-$700. But that is a lot of money and more hassle. Heads are on the engine in the boat right now. My question is: Can I just remove the inner springs & run the outer spring alone? I tested pressures both closed and open at .652 (full open lift for my new cam) and they are basically both perfect with the outer spring only. Had 170 closed at my 2.00" installed height and 470# open pressure at my cams full .652" lift.





[Question] Valve springs too much pressure

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire